One of the most important things members of our community can do to welcome refugees is to become part of a refugee’s life. Our volunteers provide invaluable support to refugees as they adjust to everyday life in the U.S.—and more often than not, our volunteers gain just as much from the experience.
Unfortunately, we are not able to provide one-time service projects or events. However, if you would like to be on our mailing list as one-time opportunities or events come up, please sign up for our mailing list. If you have a church or youth group that is interested in service projects, please consider the ongoing volunteer opportunities below.
Interested in volunteering? Fill out the volunteer interest form to get started:
How can you get involved?
Refugee Mentor Trainer
We are currently seeking a 1-2 volunteers to support our Refugee Mentor Training. This volunteer opportunity will train new mentors being matched with RIC-AAU clients both as single individuals and families. Currently, we have a caseload of 90+ mentors that are supported by a volunteer Mentor Coordinator with over 50+ mentors waiting to be matched with refugee and immigrant families in need. The volunteer Refugee Mentor Trainer would be responsible for holding monthly mentor trainings for newly matched mentors. This training will include an overview of the agency and who we serve, cultural sensitivity training, outlining expectations of mentors, and act as a support for the first 1-2 months of a mentoring match relationship before transitioning them to the volunteer Mentor Coordinator.
- Hold Mentor Trainings for new mentors every 4-6 weeks (as needs arise)
- Act as support/point of contact for mentors the first month
- Transition mentors to the volunteer Mentor Coordinator for continued support
- Keep training materials relevant and up to date
Minimum Time Commitment:
- 4 hours a month; 2 hour mentor training/4-6 weeks; 2 hours prep time
- 5-6 month commitment; Aug-Dec and/or Jan-May
- Retired/Former educators a plus!
- Experience teaching, giving presentations, etc. preferred
- Organized and Detail-Oriented
- Experience mentoring and/or tutoring a plus!
- Some experience working with diverse populations